Downtown Building Rehabilitation Matching Incentive Program
The City of Cleburne Downtown Building Rehabilitation Matching Incentive Program provides a 50% match in the form of a reimbursement up to a maximum of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) for eligible improvements to buildings located in the City of Cleburne downtown Commercial Historic District (map attached). City Council shall have the discretion to increase or decrease the award amount, and in fact may award beyond $25,000 per applicant. Conversely, Council may, at its discretion, choose to award less than the amount requested by applicant depending on scope of the proposed project. Participants are eligible for up to one (1) incentive per twelve (12) month period from completion of previous project under this program, if applicable. Applicants who meet the twenty-five thousand dollar ($25,000) match threshold are eligible for waiver of building permit fees. Only building permit fees which are part of the incentive application will be waived. Building permit fees for improvements not related to the incentive application are not eligible for fee waiver.
- Must be an existing building located in the Cleburne Commercial Historic District (see attached “Exhibit A”).
- Eligible improvements/repairs shall not begin before the application is considered by City Council.
- Improvements must comply with all applicable state and local code requirements.
- Improvements may be on the interior or exterior
- Buildings with multiple tenants are eligible for one (1) program incentive per twelve (12) month period from completion of previous program project.
Eligible Improvements Include (but are not limited to):
- ADA-related repairs/upgrades
- Asbestos abatement
- Architectural/structural repairs and/or upgrades
- Interior painting, remodeling, or repairs
Ineligible improvements include (but are not limited to):
- Exterior improvements that would qualify for inclusion in the separate Façade Improvement Matching Incentive Program
- Buildings that are not located within the Downtown Commercial Historic District
- Interior furnishings or enhancements that are not permanently affixed to the building
- New building construction
- Completed incentive program application signed by the applicant and the owner of the property (if different from the applicant).
- Cost Proposals: Two (2) written cost proposals from bona fide tradespeople, contractors, or suppliers. One (1) cost proposal must be from a contractor or supplier whose business is located within the Cleburne city limits (where applicable).
- Contractor Qualification: One (1) completed “Statement of Contractor’s Qualifications” form for each cost proposal. Contractors must be registered to perform work within the City of Cleburne, where applicable.
- Interior and/or exterior photo(s) of the building, depending on the scope of work to be performed.
- Written description of proposal.
- Drawings or renderings of proposal.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee approval.
- All eligibility requirements must be met to be considered for the incentive program.
- Only complete applications will be considered by the Cleburne City Council for approval. Incomplete applications which are missing required materials will not be considered.
- Applications will be reviewed and considered by the Cleburne City Council on a first-come, first–served basis until all available program funds have been allocated. All funding is awarded at the discretion of the City Council.
- Appropriate permits must be obtained prior to beginning construction.
- Construction of improvements must commence within ninety (90) days of application approval and must be completed within one (1) year of application approval. The applicant may request a one (1) time thirty (30) day extension for construction commencement and a one (1) time three (3) month extension to complete the project from the City Manager.
- Any substantive changes or modifications to the approved application shall be approved by City Council.
- Payment of the matching incentive funds shall be in the form of a reimbursement of fifty percent (50%) of the total cost of the improvements to a maximum of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000).
- Payment will be made after all work is satisfactorily completed according to the terms of the approved program application and all costs are documented with receipts and/or invoices. Payment is subject to final inspection performed by the City to ensure compliance with local, state, and international building codes. Payment will not be made for any work completed before the application is considered by City Council.
- A completed W-9 Form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will be required by the property owner prior to any payment.
- Improvements completed under the City of Cleburne Downtown Building Rehabilitation Matching Incentive Program shall become permanent fixtures of the building and shall not be removed or altered for a period of five (5) years without the express written consent of the City of Cleburne.
The City Council may waive any particular eligibility requirements described above.