- Living Here
- Engineering Department
- Floodplain Management
- Flood Insurance
Purchasing flood insurance through the NFIP is one of the best ways to protect your home and belongings. Standard homeowner policies do not cover damage from floods.
- There is normally a 30-day waiting period when purchasing a new policy. Flood insurance is sold through private insurance companies and agents and is backed by the federal government.
- Under the ‘Mandatory Purchase of Flood Insurance’ requirement, homeowners in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) must buy flood insurance if they have a mortgage from a federally regulated lender. The requirement applies to all forms of federal or federally related financial assistance for buildings located in a SFHA. This affects loans and grants for the purchase, construction, repair, or improvement of any publicly or privately owned buildings in the SFHA, including machinery, equipment, fixtures and furnishings contained in such buildings.
- Homes located outside the high-risk flood zone areas need flood insurance too. Nationally, over 25% of structures that flood each year belong to policyholders whose properties are not in a high risk flood zone.
- Flood insurance is available for all properties located in the City of Cleburne.
- If you’re renting a home or apartment, contents coverage is available from the NFIP to protect your valuables and belongings.
Current Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM)
The City provides a map information service enabling all residents to determine the flood zone of a specific property.
Paper copies are available for viewing at the City Hall Engineering Services Department. Electronic maps may be viewed and printed online for free at the FEMA Flood Map Store.
Preliminary Floodplain Maps
The following flood insurance rate maps are preliminary. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has provided a draft copy for review and will be initiating a comment period shortly. The maps have been revised by FEMA. Please contact Colt Friedrich, City Engineer, for a copy.