Teen Police Academy
Enrollment is open for the 2022 Teen Police Academy!
The Cleburne Police Department's Teen Police Academy is modeled after the Citizens Police Academy and is designed to give young people the opportunity to learn about the department and its operations and to demonstrate the benefits of law enforcement and community policing in our city. The main goals of this program are to:
- Provide youth with an inside look at the law enforcement profession
- Establish a better understanding of the mutual challenges that face today's youth and law enforcement officers
- Introduce youth to our ongoing Cadet Program
Students will learn the basic operations of a police department and explore career options in criminal justice while meeting members of the Cleburne Police Department. The Community Services Unit leads the Cleburne Teen Police Academy and Community Relations Officer K. A. Abbott coordinates enrollment.
Since its inception in the summer of 2018, the academy has graduated many recruits. The Academy features many aspects of law enforcement with classroom instruction, hands-on training, and more!
There is no cost to participate in the Teen Police Academy.
The weeklong Academy will be held Monday – Friday, June 6 – 10, 2022 from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm. Graduation is Friday, June 10, 2022 at 5:00 pm.
How to apply
Students must complete an application which includes release forms. A mandatory background check is run on all applicants. Contact Officer K. A. Abbott here to request more information or an application.
Application deadline is Thursday, April 28, 2022 by midnight.
Restrictions & Requirements
Any student is welcome to attend. As long as the following requirements are met:
- Eligibility: Teen Police Academy is open to youth entering grades 9th and 10th.
- Academy is limited to 30 students: Students are chosen in the order that all paperwork is received and upon successful completion of paperwork and a background check.
- Attendance is required. Commitment to attend all sessions, all week long.
- Comply with the Cleburne Teen Police Academy Code of Conduct and will conduct themselves in a business-like manner at all times.
- Be enrolled in public or private school within Johnson County.
- Fill out the application fully.
For more information or to request an application contact Officer K. A. Abbott at [email protected] or 817-556-8815.