Alcoholic Beverage Sales

In accordance with state statutes, local communities determine the types of alcohol sold within their local jurisdictions. On May 10, 2009, City of Cleburne citizens voted in a local option election and approved the following types of alcohol sales:

  • Legal sale of beer and wine for off-premise consumption only; and
  • Legal sale of mixed beverages in restaurants by food & beverage certificate holders only

The Office of the City Secretary processes alcohol sales certification packets and City permits to ensure compliance with all local ordinances and regulations. For more information on the sale of alcohol in the City of Cleburne, refer to the Code Resource links below. A helpful information brochure is being drafted and will be available here in the coming days.

Obtaining an Alcohol Sales License from the TABC

Visit the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission (TABC) licenses and permits website to learn about obtaining a license, license renewals, and licensing fees. The application requirements and process can be complex. Acquiring the services of a liquor license consulting firm may prove helpful.

As part of the application process for a business within the corporate limits of the City, the applicant must submit the completed TABC application to the City Secretary for certification. The City will certify if the type of license and location is permitted. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing. The application may be submitted in electronic or paper format.

Obtaining a Local City Alcohol Sales Permit

A City-issued permit is required for all businesses selling alcohol and is to be purchased within 30 days the TABC license is issued. Pursuant to Section 11.38 of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, the City is authorized to collect a local city permit fee and is 50% of the TABC license fee. All City issued permits will expire the same date as the TABC license.

Code Resources