- Living Here
- Engineering Department
The Engineering Department oversees the City's streets, water, wastewater, and storm drainage capital improvement projects. It is also responsible for the administration, construction, inspection of capital improvements and the construction of new developments.
The Engineering Department also enforces the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance and provides Floodplain information to the public. Comprehensive system planning, engineering design, design review and implementation systems in accordance with local, state and federal laws are also provided by the Engineering Department.
Other Areas of Responsibilities
- Identifying needed projects to improve and maintain streets, oversee construction of water and sanitary sewer lines to increase system capacity, rehabilitate existing infrastructure, oversee construction of sidewalks.
- Reviewing and approving all engineering design plans for public improvements in new residential and commercial developments.
- Reviewing design plans for compliance with ordinances, standard construction details, state and federal laws and sound engineering practices.
- Overseeing the use of city property that facilitates infrastructure such as right of way, utility easements and the utilities that use right-of-way or easements such as cellular providers for small cell nodes.
- Review plats and engineering plans for all new construction.
- Maintain record drawings for public infrastructure in all new development.
- Assess and collect impact fees (roadway, water and wastewater) on all new development.
- Engineering support for other departments.
- Coordinate utility relocations.
- ROW permits.
- Coordinate with State, County officials & private Individuals concerning public infrastructure.
- Managing traffic and transportation engineering including signals, signage and traffic and speed studies.
- Inspections of on-going construction to ensure public infrastructure is built to City and NCTCOG standards.
Public Works Requests
Public Works issues related to Street and Streetlights, Storm Drainage, Water & Wastewater can be submitted here.
Requests in regards to property location, and/or as-builts requests must be submitted through an Open Records Request though the City Secretary's office and can be submitted here.