File a Claim with the City

How to File a Claim

If you believe the city is responsible for property damages or bodily injuries, you may file a claim for damages against the city. A claim form may be requested by phoning Risk Management at 817-645-0916. 

The completed form should be mailed to Risk Management at the address on the form. Please ensure the form is fully completed, signed and notarized. Please attach all documentation (i.e., receipts, bills, photographs, diagrams, and other supporting documents). Photographs should be taken before any repairs are made in order to substantiate the claim. Generally, a claim relating to injury to a person or personal property should be filed six months from the date of the occurrence.

Received Claims and Liability

Once the claim form is received by Risk Management, it will be forwarded to our insurance carrier for investigation to determine the city’s liability and the amount of damages owed, if any. This process typically takes two to four weeks. Some claims may take longer, depending on the complexity.

While the city may not be liable for all types of claims for damages, if it is determined the city may be liable, the insurance adjuster and/or risk manager will work with you to achieve an equitable settlement. State law provides that cities are immune from liability for activities and damages. If the adjuster’s investigation into the claim and applicable laws determines the city is not liable, you will receive a letter stating your claim has been denied. If your claim is denied or an agreement on the fair value of your claim cannot be reached, you can still maintain the option of pursuing your case in the courts.

More Information

If you have legal questions regarding your claim, you should consult with a private attorney. For further information, please contact Risk Management at 817-645-0916.