Jury Service and Information
The United States Constitution guarantees that all people regardless of economic status, national origin, race, religion or sex, the right to a trial by an impartial jury.
If you actually serve on the jury you will be paid $6.00 dollars per day for each day you actually serve. Most of the cases that go before the Cleburne Municipal Court of Record are disposed of on the first day.
Your employer is prohibited by law from firing any employee for serving as a juror, however your employer is not required by law to pay you for the time away from work while serving as a juror. The Court will provide you with a letter of service for your employer at the conclusion of your service.
A municipal court juror must be:
- A citizen of the United States and a resident of the City of Cleburne, Johnson County Texas
- Must be of qualified under the Constitution and laws to vote in the country in which you serve as a juror
- Must be of sound mind
- Must be able to read and write
- Must 18 years of age or older
Exemptions from Jury Service
- If you are 70 years of age or older
- You have legal custody of a child or children younger than 15 years of age and they would be without adequate supervision.
- You are a full time student at a public or private high school
- You are the primary caretaker of a person who is unable to care for themselves
- You are enrolled and in actual attendance in an institution of higher learning
- You are an officer or an employee of the senate, the house of representatives, or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of state government
- You are a member of the U.S. military serving on active duty and employed at a location away from your home station
A person cannot serve on a jury if he or she has been convicted of a felony or if he or she is under indictment or other legal accusation for a misdemeanor theft or felony. A person may not serve if they have served as a juror for six consecutive days during the preceding three months in a Johnson County Court or during the preceding six months in the District Court. If you have any questions in regards to juror eligibility contact the Cleburne Municipal Court of Record at 817-645-0925.