- Your Government
- Human Resources
- Civil Service
- Police Eligibility Requirements
Police Eligibility Requirements
A police officer is responsible for ensuring civilians obey the law. Police officers also provide emergency services such as responding to calls. A police officer’s main duties include patrolling assigned areas to ensure civilians are adhering to the law, investigating crimes or accidents and arresting criminal suspects.
ELIGIBILITY LIST FROM APRIL 6, 2023 EXAM
Qualifications to become a City of Cleburne police officer is as follows. This information is as prescribed by Chapter 143 Local Government Code.
- Must be a citizen of the United States and be able to read, write and fluently speak English.
- Must be 21 to 44 years of age at the time of test.
- Have a valid Texas or out-of-state driver’s license that is not in jeopardy of suspension or revocation at the date of hire.
- Be a graduate of an accredited high school or have an equivalency certificate.
- Preferably possess certification as a Peace Officer as issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement at time of exam or must meet all legal requirements necessary to become a licensed Peace Officer by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
Applicants applying for beginning positions in the Police Department shall have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university at the time of their start date with the Police Department.
In lieu of degree, applicants shall possess a high school diploma or GED and have any of the following:
- A current Texas peace officer license at the time of their start date with the police department; or At least 24 months of experience as a regular full-time paid peace officer (any state) or federal criminal investigator; or At least 24 months of active-duty military experience in the armed forces of the United States; or At least 24 months of experience as a non-sworn law enforcement or corrections employee in Texas.
- Experience may be combined.
- 30 college hours from an accredited college or university may be substituted for a maximum 12 months of experience.
- All education and/ or experience must be verifiable.
Applicants shall be required to furnish official transcripts or other competent evidence of completion of the aforementioned academic requirements to the police department's background investigator.
Applicants shall be required to furnish official transcripts or other competent evidence of completion of the aforementioned academic requirements.
- All military or law enforcement experience substituted for a degree must be verifiable.
- Applicants convicted of a felony under State, Federal, or military law will not be considered for employment. Applicants will not be considered for employment while charges are pending for any offense.
- Must pass the written Civil Service exam with a minimum score of 70 percent
Must pass the physical ability test
- Candidates who pass the written exam and physical ability test will be subject to successful completion of the following: driver analysis; background investigation including submitting fingerprints for a criminal record check; typing test with a minimum of 30 wpm; medical examination, including drug testing; psychological evaluation; polygraph test; oral review board; and any other relevant investigations deemed necessary.
- Full eligibility requirements are outlined in our Civil Service rules available at www.cleburne.net/team
BENEFITS: Annual salary is $62,477.41 plus Life/Health/Dental Insurance, TMRS, paid vacation, sick time, and holidays.