News Flash

City of Cleburne News

Posted on: August 6, 2018

Algae makes water taste earthy but still safe to drink

water with lemon

Cleburne water is safe to drink despite the possibility of an earthy taste caused by an organic compound from algae.

Many water systems in the region are seeing increased algae levels due to warm weather. When algae in the water source dies it release a naturally occurring organic compound called geosmin, which causes the earthy taste and smell. With elevated geosmin levels in the raw water supply, Cleburne residents may experience a presence of the described earthy taste and odor in the water. The water is safe to use for all domestic purposes including bathing, cooking, and drinking.

While geosmin cannot be removed by conventional water treatment processes, the City of Cleburne continues to monitor the situation and performs appropriate testing to ensure water quality.

The taste and odor of geosmin can be unpleasant but it is not toxic or harmful. The water remains safe to drink. On-going testing continues to show an absence of harmful bacteria and other pathogens in the water. To reduce the taste, customers can try chilling the water, adding ice cubes, a slice of lemon, or a few drops of lemon juice.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in City of Cleburne News


Walk or run for a cause with paws

Posted on: August 1, 2018

Now Accepting Sealed Bids

Posted on: July 18, 2018
sun stock image

Beat the heat this summer

Posted on: July 18, 2018


Posted on: May 25, 2018

Jury Cancellation Notification

Posted on: April 18, 2018

News Release

Posted on: April 6, 2018
state of the city cover 1

2018 State of the City

Posted on: February 9, 2018
waste water treatement small

Update on Water Conditions

Posted on: January 26, 2018

Drones: Toys or Tools?

Posted on: October 19, 2017
the burne new logo

The Burne Weekly Issue 11

Posted on: October 30, 2017