News Flash Home
The original item was published from 11/21/2023 3:19:00 PM to 11/21/2023 3:23:17 PM.

News Flash

Fire Dept. News

Posted on: November 21, 2023

[ARCHIVED] Follow These Holiday Safety Cooking Tips

Frying a Turkey

To help prevent cooking fires and burn injuries this holiday season, the Cleburne Fire Department would like to share some quick and easy cooking safety tips for the community to review. Watch the full video here.

  1. If you are frying, grilling or broiling food, never leave it unattended – stay in the kitchen. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.

  2. Keep kids and pets away from the cooking area. Make them stay at least three feet away from the stove.

  3. Keep anything that can catch fire - pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stove, oven or any other appliance in the kitchen that generates heat.+

  4. When deep frying a turkey, don’t use fryers in close quarters to children and others in the home due to the dangerous heat. Don’t fry the turkey under a garage, deck, breezeway, porch, barn, or any structure that can catch fire. Frozen or partially frozen turkeys will cause the hot oil to splatter or produce hot steam leading to burn, so make sure to start with a dry unfrozen turkey.

  5. Don’t wear loose clothing or sleeves that dangle while cooking.

  6. Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.

  7. Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens and small appliances are turned off.

In addition, it’s good to install a smoke alarm near your kitchen, on each level of your home, near sleeping areas, and inside and outside bedrooms if you sleep with doors closed. Use the test button to check it each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year if your smoke alarm requires it.

Also, consider purchasing a fire extinguisher to keep in your kitchen. Contact your local fire department in case of emergencies.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire Dept. News