The 86th Texas legislature enacted legislation in 2019 related to the processing of plats and plans associated with plats. Texas Local Government Code Ch. 212 defines the process for the approval of plats, as well as the timeframe during which a plat must be acted upon by the City.
The Community Development Department is responsible for ensuring plats are processed and acted on in accordance with state law. You can always contact our office if you have any questions.
A summary of the major steps and documents involved in the process to submit and obtain approval of a plat are listed below:
- Revised Plat Application – Please review the application and ensure all required materials and information is included. Incomplete Applications Will Not Be Accepted. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Submittal Schedule - Review the submittal schedule for plat applications to determine when your plat can be acted on by the City.
- Plat Approval Process Flowchart - Staff has developed a flow chart to assist applicants with understanding how the new process works.
- Civic Construction Plans Must be Approved Prior to Submittal of a Plat Application - A letter from the City Engineer stating the civil plans are approved OR A letter from the City Engineer stating that civil plans are not required. Please coordinate with the City's Engineering Department prior to submittal of a plat application or schedule a pre-development meeting with Planning and Zoning staff.
- Plat Approval Letter From JCSUD – If the property to be platted will be served by JCSUD for water or sewer, a letter stating their ability to serve utilities to the property must be submitted with the application.
- DRC Completeness Determination – The Development Review Committee will review each plat application within ten (10) days to make a completeness determination. If the plat is missing any of the information required by the City’s Subdivision Ordinance, the plat will be deemed incomplete and returned to the applicant. The applicant will then have 45 days to resubmit a complete application. If a response is not submitted within this timeframe, the application will expire and a new application and fees will be required.
- Revisions Submitted Digitally - Following receipt of staff comments, resubmittals may be submitted digitally to [email protected]. This will help expedite subsequent reviews. Detailed information for resubmittals will be included in the DRC Comment letter.
It is the goal of the Community Development Department to provide excellent customer service. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office via email at [email protected], or by phone at 817-645-0947.