Right-of-Way (ROW) & Easements

Right-of-Way Management

The Right-of-Way (ROW) is the area owned and/or controlled by the City and typically includes the street surface, sidewalks, and grassy areas between pavement and property lines.  The boundaries of the ROW will vary depending on the physical conditions at any given location. 

The City of Cleburne owns and maintains Right-of-Way areas. Sometimes called driveway permit, culvert permit or utility permit, a Right-of-way permit is required to disturb, excavate, block, obstruct, tamper with or place any construction or other material on or in a city road, right-of-way, or easement. Private companies may use portions of these areas to install utility facilities for service within, or transmission across the City by means of a Right-of-Way Permit.

Applicable City ordinances related to Management of the Right-of-Way can be found Here.


Easements are an area of private or public land set-aside for a specific use or purpose. Easements give the city and utilities the right to construct and maintain facilities, or infrastructure, in the area of land designated as an easement.
This can be a combination of the services and facilities described below. Facilities and services provided in the easement may be on, under or above ground within the easement area. It is important to know where utilities are located before any construction or work begins. 

  • Channeling and conveying storm water run-off from your property over land (Drainage Easement or Excess storm water passageway);
  • Utility services such as electric, natural gas, telephone, cable and fiber facilities (Utility Easement);
  • Sanitary sewer lines (Sanitary Sewer Easement or Sewer Easement);
  • Storm sewer lines (Storm Sewer Easement or Sewer Easement);
  • Temporary construction easements (as negotiated with property owners).
Note: Sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owner, and the City of Cleburne is not responsible for maintaining sidewalks. 
          Applicable City ordinance can be found Here.

The ROW Permit can be accessed and filled out online Here
You must submit a COI with your ROW permit application! An example can be found here.

You will need to create a city works account, and then fill out the ROW Permit form under Engineering after you create an account. 

Contact Us

  1. Department of Public Works 

    10 N. Robinson
    P.O. Box 677
    Cleburne, TX 76033

    Monday - Friday
    8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    Jeremy Hutt
    Public Works Director

    Laura Melton
    Assistant Public Works Director

Right of Way Example