Right-of-Way (ROW) and Easements

The definition of a Right-of-Way (ROW) is the area of land within the City on, below, or above a public roadway, highway, street, sidewalk, alley, or public utility easement.  

A Right-of-Way permit is required to disturb, excavate, block, obstruct, tamper with or place any construction or other material on or in a City road, right-of-way, or easement.  Private companies may use portions of these areas to install utilities for service within, or transmission across the City by means of a Right-of-Way Permit.

Applicable City ordinances related to Management of the Right-of-Way can be found here.


The definition of an official Easement is a grant by a property owner for the use of land by the public, a corporation, entity, or persons for specific purposes.
 Easements are an area of private or public land set-aside for a specific use or purpose.  Easements give the 

City and utilities the right to construct and maintain facilities, or infrastructure, in the area of land designated as an easement.

This can be a combination of the services and facilities described below. Facilities and services provided in the easement may be on, under or above ground within the easement area.  It is important to know where utilities are located before any construction or work begins.  Anyone who plans to dig should call 811 a few business days prior to digging to request the approximate location of buried utilities be marked with paint or flags so that you don't unintentionally dig into an underground utility line.

Some of the Types of Public and/or Private Easements:

  1. Drainage Easement:  Channeling and conveying storm water run-off from your property over land (Drainage Easement or Excess storm water passageway);
  2. Utility Easement - Utility services such as electric, natural gas, telephone, cable and fiber facilities;
  3. Storm Sewer Easement or Sanitary Sewer Easement - To install, construct, operate, use, maintain, repair, modify, upgrade, etc. services, Storm sewer lines; 
  4. Water Line Easement - (services) Water lines
  5. Water and Sanitary Sewer Easement - (services) Water lines and Sanitary Sewer lines. 
  6. Temporary Construction Easements (as negotiated with property owners).

Note about Property Owners Maintaining Sidewalks
As stated in Chapter 99.05it shall be the duty of the homeowner, at their cost and expense, to maintain and keep the public sidewalks bordering their property in a safe and adequate condition, free of vegetation and debris, so that they are easily accessible to and may be free and safely used by the public for travel.  

The ROW Permit Portal can be accessed and filled out online here.

Application Notes

  • You will need to create a Cityworks account, and then fill out the ROW Permit form under  Engineering after you create an account. 
  • You must submit a Certificate of Insurance (COI) with your ROW permit application! A COI example can be found here.

Contact Us

  1. Department of Public Works 

    10 N. Robinson
    P.O. Box 677
    Cleburne, TX 76033
    Phone: 817-556-8869


    Monday through Friday
    8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    Jeremy Hutt

    Public Works Director

    Laura Melton

    Assistant Public Works Director

    Staff Directory

Right of Way Example