Grease Traps Ordinance


   (A) All food establishments must be equipped with a grease trap. A plumbing permit must be obtained by a licensed plumber prior to installation of a grease trap. Grease traps will be installed and sized in accordance with the currently adopted plumbing code. The standard size grease trap for most food establishments will be a 1,000 gallon trap. However, the minimum grease trap allowed for smaller operations will be a 50 lb trap.

   (B) Grease traps installed in food establishments shall be located outside of the establishment unless approved in writing by the building official, director of public works, or the city health inspector, or his authorized representative. A grease trap may not be installed in any part of a building where food is handled. Grease traps shall be located to be easily accessible for cleaning.

   (C) All grease trap waste shall be pumped and removed, and its tanks thoroughly cleaned at least once every three months. Any deviation from this schedule must be granted in writing from the regulatory authority. The regulatory authority may require additional pumping, increase the frequency of cleanings, or require immediate pumping of a grease trap if it deems it necessary in order to prevent grease from entering the city sanitary sewer system. Any establishment who utilizes microorganisms in any grease trap within the city will still be required to comply with the aforementioned pumping schedule.

   (D) All grease waste must be transported by a grease waste hauler licensed by TNRCC. The grease hauler is responsible for proper disposal of grease waste in an approved permitted site. It is the responsibility of the grease waste hauler to forward a copy of each waste trip ticket to the regulatory authority.

   (E) Exceptions. Mobile food vendors, roadside vendors, temporary food establishments, day care centers, churches, and concession stands are exempt from the requirement of grease traps. The regulatory authority may grant other exceptions based upon food operations.

(Ord. 02-2000-18, passed 2-22-00)