Trap Services and Wildlife Removal

All citizens trapping nuisance wildlife, including feral cats, must have a trap agreement in place. The agreement must be filled out and returned to Cleburne Animal Services before trapping begins. Trapping agreements can be returned via email to [email protected].

  • The Trap Agreement and Instructions can be downloaded and printed here.
  • The online Trap Agreement and Instructions can be filled out and submitted here.

City of Cleburne Animal Services is not currently loaning traps. Citizens who are having an issue where wildlife is causing a nuisance may purchase a trap at stores such as Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowe's or your local pet retailer. Cleburne Animal Services will remove trapped animals from personal traps. Rules and guidelines below will apply.

Trapping is NOT permitted for wildlife that is behaving normally. Seeing wildlife is not considered a nuisance. Wildlife that has burrowed into homes, foundations, crawl spaces, attics, under sheds, etc. are nuisances. Simply seeing wildlife or smelling skunks is not a reason to trap.

Trap Instructions

  • Monitor the trap on a daily basis — Leaving an animal in a trap for an extended period without notifying Animal Services constitutes Animal Cruelty under the laws of the State of Texas, and is punishable by fines and/or imprisonment.
  • Do not set the trap during extreme weather conditions. This includes setting the trap during temperatures below 35 degrees Fahrenheit or above 95 degrees Fahrenheit or during inclement weather (rain, snow, ice, etc.).
  • Traps can be set Monday evening (after 6 p.m.) through Saturday morning. Traps must be disabled Saturday (by 3:30 p.m.) through Monday (before 6 p.m.) and should not be set on any major holidays as there are no Animal Control Officers on duty to service the traps. Responsibility for the trap is solely yours; and if an animal is trapped on a major holiday, an Animal Control Officer may contact you to release the animal from the trap. Please make sure to monitor the trap daily.
  • Call us promptly at 817-556-8895. Leave a voicemail or tell the operator your name, address, phone number and what is caught in the trap. Contact Animal Services as soon as an animal is observed in the trap.


Use cheap, smelly, canned food as bait. The worse it smells to us, the better it smells to animals. Be sure to slide the bait into the trap so that it will not interfere with the operation of the foot pedal. This usually means setting the bait behind the pedal.

Suggested baits for wild animals:

  • Raccoon: marshmallows, canned cat food, canned tuna
  • Squirrels: peanut butter on bread, nuts, field corn, popcorn or crackers
  • Skunks: peanut butter on bread, peanuts, an egg or piece of raw chicken
  • Foxes and coyotes: raw, spoiled meat or chicken, smelly canned dog food
  • Armadillos: raw potato or carrot, other root vegetable. It is also possible to “guide” an armadillo into the trap by creating a funnel with boards. The armadillo will wander into the area and, because they do not back up or turn around, be guided into the trap. Some people have even captured armadillos with this method without using any bait.

Where to Set the Trap

  • Set the trap on a fairly level spot. Try to keep it out of sight so it doesn’t get stolen.
  • In the summer heat, set the trap in a shady spot so captured animals won’t get overheated.
  • Make sure the trap is not set where the animal will be exposed to fire ants.
  • Please don’t put it under a buildings or on the roof.
  • Try to leave it in the same place for each pickup, so the Animal Control Officer may find it quickly.

Private Trapping 

Servicing traps is a courtesy provided by Cleburne Animal Services when staff and/or equipment is available. There are times when Cleburne Animal Services or personal trapping may not be able to fulfill the needs of the citizen. There are many private trapping companies available to serve your needs. These listings are for informational purposes only. Cleburne Animal Services does not endorse any one particular company.

Wildlife Relocation Information

Rabies in Texas is an ongoing state health emergency. Therefore, according to the Rabies Control and Eradication Administrative Code, it is illegal for a person to transport certain animals that are high risk for transmitting rabies, including any live species of fox, skunk, coyote or raccoon indigenous or naturalized to North America.  A violation of this law is a Class C misdemeanor. The following individuals are exempt from this restriction and can transport animals included in the statewide rabies quarantine only when such transport is part of their official duty:

  • peace officers;
  • individuals hired or contracted by state or federal agencies or local governments;
  • employees of zoos or other institutions accredited by the American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums;
  • educators permitted by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for educational display;
  • rehabilitators permitted by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department;
  • an entity issued authorization for nuisance fur-bearing animal relocation from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department; and
  • pest management professionals licensed by the Texas Department of Agriculture.

If an exempt individual transports such animals for release, the animals must be released within a ten-mile radius or within ten miles of the city limits of where they were originally captured and the release must be within the county in which they were originally captured.

For additional information on the statewide rabies quarantine, contact your local Zoonosis Control office.


Bats are protected by federal and state regulations. It is a federal violation to use chemicals—including insecticides, rodenticides, disinfectants and mothballs—to kill bats. According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code (Chapter 63, Section 63.101), no one may hunt, sell, offer for sale, buy, offer to buy or possess after purchase a bat or any part of a bat, dead or alive.

This rule does not apply to animal control officers, peace officers or health officials who capture a bat that they consider injured or diseased. Also exempted are people who are licensed to provide pest control services and those who transport a bat to a laboratory for testing if the bat has or may have exposed people or domestic animals to rabies.

A bat may be removed or hunted if it is inside or on a building occupied by people. A person may transport a bat to have it tested by a laboratory if rabies is suspected. Also, bats in buildings can be legally removed or evicted. For more information, view the detailed Texas bat law here.