With the recent storms and floods, we are seeing an increase in several types of scams. MOBILE AUTO REPAIR SCAM
· Offer to repair a scratch or dent on your vehicle
· Perform substandard repairs for a high cost and will usually raise the price of the repair once the substandard repair is done
ROOFING / PAVING – SEALERS
· Offer to do roofing repairs or replacements at a lower cost than others
· Offer to pave or seal your driveway with “leftover” materials from another job promising low costs
· Perform substandard repairs for a high cost
SIMILARITIES IN EVERY CASE
· Tend to target elderly or senior citizens
· Typically have generic magnetic signs on the doors of their pickups indicating type of work
· ALWAYS perform substandard work, if any work is done at all
· Work as a team (mostly but not always)
· Will lure the vehicle owner or home owner out of their house while an accomplice enters the home and steals jewelry and cash.
WHAT TO DO!
If you feel that you have been the target of one of the scams, please contact the police department immediately at 817/645-0972. If you see a neighbor who you think may be the victim of a scam or suspicious activity in your neighborhood, don’t wait. Call 911.
Remember, as a general rule, contractors will not solicit business door to door. If they do, they MUST have a permit from the City of Cleburne!