Only 13% of public library systems in the entire state received the Achievement of Excellence in Libraries Award, and the Cleburne Public Library is one of them.
The annual award is given by the Texas Municipal Library Directors Association (TMLDA) to libraries that demonstrate consistent excellence and outstanding contributions to public library services within their communities.
This is the second year in a row that the Cleburne Public Library has earned the distinction. Tina Dunham, Cleburne’s director of library services, said the award speaks to the level of excellence the staff strives to achieve every day for the community.
“Really all the credit goes to the library staff,” she said. “All of their innovative programs and the service that they give to the community—I’m really proud of them. It’s an honor.”
To receive the award, a library must submit any application that shows they exhibit excellence in 10 service areas which include:
- Services to underserved populations either through outreach, special programs, collaborations with other libraries or organizations, special classes, special collections, etc.
- Innovative and effective marketing materials highlighting basic services and publicity about specific programs the library offers
- Collaborative efforts with community organizations
- Enhanced service to the public during the past year either through increase in service or a change in type of services
- Literacy support for all ages (including summer reading programs)
- Support for digital inclusion through public internet access, digital literacy training, and online library services
- Support for workforce development
- Cultural, topical, and educational programming for adults and families
- Professional staff training to include training opportunities for staff at all levels
- Any other initiatives that speak to library excellence.
The 10 service areas change annually so that libraries are able to stay relevant and meet the changing needs of their visitors.
For 2022, 73 of the 542 public library systems in Texas earned the Achievement of Excellence in Libraries Award. Learn more about the recognition here.